WINTER M.I.A.

z1turbo

Well guys and gals, is this becoming the norm for our winters. For the past 3 years our winters have started late and ended early and not as much snow. I am concern to our love of snowmobiling, is it going to survive in Ontario?, if this keeps up for another 3 years, will ofsc survive?, will our trails disappear? I am sure there has been a decrease in membership in the last 3 years. I believe we have tough times ahead for snowmobiling in Ontario, who is going to pay $260+ per year to ride for maybe 6 weeks of the year??????? I hope i am wrong.

I've also had 'first ride' on groundhog day in year's past and had wonderful seasons. I hear where you're coming from, Z1 Turbo, but look forward to a great season.

Just move east, last 4 out of 5 winters have been outstanding here..

snow on the ground here since Nov 10th, blizzard tonight 20+cm and another 15 come tuesday

The problem though is highs in the -20s

6 weeks. Central Ontario and the east will survive. South Ontario, we haven't opened here in north d5 for 2 years now. Longest snow draught ever. They said December was 3.6 c warmer then average. That turned our snow into rain. Jan isn't looking much better. Maybe feb and march will be cold and snowy. Sure hope so.

snow on the ground here since Nov 10th, blizzard tonight 20+cm and another 15 come tuesday

Freezie...wrong Province Dude...this is Ontario Conditions ...not Portage and Main conditions where you are either swatting black flies or shovelling snow and hanging on for dear life from the wind! LOL.. I almost envy you...almost..

I think the best two decades to be a sledder were the 60's and 70's, according to this data.

Strange ....best two decades for rock music as well. Hmmm....Maaybe if that guy had succeeded in his plan to off Justin Bieber....

You just have to treat each weekend as a vacation in which sledding may or may not be involved. Last year was my best year from that point of view - got to see several new to me sledding districts. On more than a couple of these trips was never really sure how the weather and trails would be.

Hey Dweese we put 280 k on Tuesday going from Belleville to Charbot Lake and back. Great conditions, smooth trails, nice country and only passed 6 sleds all day. A perfect day.

We will be back soon I hope.

I haven't been out since before Christmas but Buddy (pat_the_rat) at work has over 1000Km so far this year. Hopefully the rain in the forecast doesn't kill our trails.

Well they are calling for much colder and some snow for the second half of winter and also some intense snow squals. The cold is going to start sometime this week and last to the end of feb. at least. I HOPE THEY ARE RIGHT!

Yep lots of snow here! Calling for 30cm of snow by days end. With the drifting its hard to tell but the truck was dragging its front spoiler this morning on the way to work. Down side is I can't ride till I get all the driveways done. Monday my day off is looking good however!

Will the OFSC survive? Can't answer that but I know snowmobiling will survive here! Come on up!

well i think snowmobiling will survive at least in the north....the poor conditions seem to be migrating from southern ontario and working there way north...god i wish i lived in newfie land!!!! 70 cms....does anyone actually know what that would be like....snowed in?...snow day?....terms i only rememeber when i was young

well i think snowmobiling will survive at least in the north....the poor conditions seem to be migrating from southern ontario and working there way north...god i wish i lived in newfie land!!!! 70 cms....does anyone actually know what that would be like....snowed in?...snow day?....terms i only rememeber when i was young

Ya NL is getting harmered, 70cm and 30-40 more coming...must have been crazy there, peak wind was recorded at 138km/h last night, and holding around 70-80km/h. Now that's winter.

As for the last time I was snowed in?

January 2008, wen I still lived in Brighon (miss that house could ride from home) took almost a week for the town to dig everyone out. 70+cm over 3 days. Sleds where going everywhere, it was the only way to travel.

C80AE098-5A34-4E4D-AACA-B0A5148EC6C2-15374-000010942F3E3012.jpg

So how was your basket weaving class? Seriously! The weather is something you or I can't change. Don't like it? Don't get mad get used to it! The rest of us have to suffer too!

i moved to the north this year hopeing for a great snowmobileand i fishing season,,,,,, rain for 2 days and +7, not to happey with winter right now.

whine.gif

It IS only January 12!!!! Chill out!

chillpill.gif

whine.gif

It IS only January 12!!!! Chill out!

chillpill.gif

I remember waiting patiently until December 1st as a kid to ride my sled as the town bylaw would not allow sleds on the streets until then. I don't remember ever having to wait for snow.

Yeah but you can get too much too fast. Don't forget the winds with that storm were exceptionally high. The airport was closed as well. I have a picture somewhere a person I worked with sent me a couple of years ago. His dad lives on the rock. Basically it was a picture of his dad climbing out of the bedroom window and putting his foot down onto the snow just a couple of feet below. He said they had so much snow in such a short period of time the family couldn't get out the door. Then he pointed out the bedroom window was on the second floor.

It was only a few short years ago that Wasaga Beach got dumped on with chest deep snow in one storm. The guy that plows my moms driveway had run out of places to push the snow and had to come back with a blower. Friends living on Shore Lane couldn't get out for 4 days. The plows couldn't get through. They had to wait for blowers and front end loaders to clear the snow.

Winter isn't a fail, but these constant thaws are a real PITA though. We only got a bit of rain yesterday, 20 minutes or so. Started to freeze up around 3:30 light snow after that. It's frozen again now, but I hope the locals didn't wreck the OFSC trails during the day.

184412_419948464741227_1384146709_n.jpg

Yeah but you can get too much too fast. Don't forget the winds with that storm were exceptionally high. The airport was closed as well. I have a picture somewhere a person I worked with sent me a couple of years ago. His dad lives on the rock. Basically it was a picture of his dad climbing out of the bedroom window and putting his foot down onto the snow just a couple of feet below. He said they had so much snow in such a short period of time the family couldn't get out the door. Then he pointed out the bedroom window was on the second floor.

It was only a few short years ago that Wasaga Beach got dumped on with chest deep snow in one storm. The guy that plows my moms driveway had run out of places to push the snow and had to come back with a blower. Friends living on Shore Lane couldn't get out for 4 days. The plows couldn't get through. They had to wait for blowers and front end loaders to clear the snow.

That was 2007 I have pictures of that snow in Owen Sound . The Sound got like 100cm in 72 hours it was fantastic , the year before 06 sucked .

That same year Wasaga Beach got hit, we got hit here in London. Over 3 feet at my house and almost 5 feet 15 min north. Best thing ever for a Dec. 8, but you are right that it was too much too quick. I'll still take it over last winter and this one so far.

Archived