Aubrey Falls

Dan-Senior

COLD, F ME was -39.6 at 7 am today.

Its a balmy -31 right now.

Can't wait til it gets to -20 again

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Talked to the Chapleau Club, they where supose to head to Dalton on the F trail today but they broke an alternator on the groomer, waitting for a part they expect to head out tomorrow. They told me C101F will be done next, the 101 trailmarker club in Foleyet Folded and now they need to figure out what do to. then they said they would do the F trail south last, it's in the plans do do once they are done the rest so it will be groomed this year.

Thanks for the update Luc. Hope all works out ok for the Chapleau club and groomer.

I received information this morning that the D106 to Aubrey Falls is scheduled to be groomed tomorrow (Thursday Jan. 24th) and Friday Jan.25th is the return trip.

No promises according to the email, should the groomer operator encounter problems along the way.

Thanks for the D106 hope Dan.

Hey Dan a few of us are coming up from London, is the loop from Soo to Searchmont and around decent riding? Im wondering why the trails still show yellow?

Thanks

Hi Everyone,

For those who plan on riding in Algoma in February, please support your fuel and food stops along the way. Without them, sledders would not be able to continue riding some of these routes. A good example is Aubrey Falls. Snowmobilers are fortunate to be able to access food and fuel this winter via Black Creek Outfitters. Last year it was Aubrey Falls Trading Post. Just 3 years ago, there was no fuel or food. The sign on the trail leaving north from Elliot Lake said "No gas for 290 kms". Hope not to see that sign again.

In summary: please support Aubrey Falls and Black Creek Outfitters as they are the hub from Sault Ste. Marie to Elliot Lake and Elliot Lake to Chapleau and a key link in Algoma.

Please share this message with your riding colleagues.

Dan-Senior

Good post!!

Usualy when trails are posted as yellow they are still good (For my area) seemd like we are a bit more picky in posting out trails yellow Limited as in the south, My D trail was yellow because the was little bit of brush in one small section of trail and one small spot where there was some big atv ruts and I was not able to cover them well, as of the rest it was great. the D108A is Yellow because there is a Big Washout and the trail is rerouted in the ditch so I decided to post it as limited until we have more snow to fill in the hole.

An email from Black Creek Outfitters tonight says the D106 from Echo Bay to Aubrey Falls is now groomed. Groomer came through yesterday (January 24th).

D106 is Open.

Sault Trailblazers have their new north trail open from Searchmont to Aubrey Falls via the Whitman Dam / Domtar / Mashagma Route. Groomer went through on Friday Jan. 25th. Groups of sledders followed on Friday and Saturday. This link is a huge opportunity for extended season riding as it is north and in the snowbelt as compared to the south D106 route. Fantastic!

Sault Trailblazers have their new north trail open from Searchmont to Aubrey Falls via the Whitman Dam / Domtar / Mashagma Route. Groomer went through on Friday Jan. 25th. Groups of sledders followed on Friday and Saturday. This link is a huge opportunity for extended season riding as it is north and in the snowbelt as compared to the south D106 route. Fantastic!

Hi Dan,

The new trail was great and we took it through the Hydro lines. Say thanks to your buddies again for knocking the snow off the rocks so I could avoid them. The cut through was rugged, but glad you know your way around well enough to give great directions. We by luck had your freinds pass just before the turn off and we got their help in finding the correct turns in your week old track connecting Domtar with the F Trail. It was snowed over in some spots. I will try to post some pics. tonight.

Hope to see you again this weekend and will get with you by Thursday about a ride.

Thanks again!

Scott

Hi Scott,

Sure was a pleasure meeting you and the group last weekend in Elliot Lake.

Hope you can make it back up this way for the weekend. Weather forecast is calling for 30cm of snow for Elliot Lake by Thursday which is going to result in some nice sledding.

Elliot Lake club does an incredible job with grooming. Also, looking forward to riding to Aubrey Falls as I suspect they will get the same storm.

Room at camp for you.

Dan

IMG_1162.jpgIMG_1165.jpg

We rode the Aubrey Falls area today. It snowed all day up there and there's a good snow to ride.

The 'Domtar', west of the Aubinadong and Laughing Lake roads, both is good shape.

DOMTAR

The Domtar from the Ranger Lake Road junction up to the East Aubinadong River crossing is being used for logging. (12kms.) Although it wasn't graded this morning, the only new snow on that stretch is what fell in the last day or so and that's about 5". I suispect it will be graded this week.

We tried an alternative route and that was by taking the bush trail on the East side of the 'East Aubinadong' and hook-up with the Powerline and go south until the Mashagama road and over to Seabrook Lake, then down to the Chapleau F and back to Aubrey Fallls. It worked. Another scenic route with 2 spots overlooking lakes from the top of ridges.

These pictures were from our run last Saturday using the Hydro Line cut through from Domatar to the groomed F Trail north of Aubrey Falls. Plenty of snow to groom south of Flame Lake............ SSM has the end done for the Chapleau Club.IMG_1164.jpg

Riding from Echobay to Aubrey falls with my son this Friday with fuel and lunch at Blackcreekoutfitters and onto Elliot lake -Dunlop Lake Lodge- then onto Blindriver, Iron Bridge and back to EchoBay Sat. Morn. Thanks for all the posts and info about the trails especially the D106 that just opened. Will hopefully send a blog about the route when I return. Thanks again., \hope all goes well, never been through this route before. Will have my spot with me. Dan.

Hi Dan,

Maybe we will cross pathes this weekend. Will keep a lookout for you as we are riding the same areas.

Dan Senior

do they have overnight lodging at black creek? Dan F, where are you parking your truck/trailer in echo? i used to contact marty at the pitstop service station. he was VERY GOOD with info, and letting us park the vehicles so they were safe for a day or two. always had a smile, and was glad to give info on the trails and ice conditions. with the low snow winters and the big F trail not opening north of aubrey falls, we havent went that way in a loooooong time. i would love to ride from echo to flame lake again.

We should come up this weekend. i really need to ride and get away. i am just getting over the flu, and dont know if i should push it, and end up sick again or just rest another weekend.

would be awesome to run up to chapleau, via the old D trail and the wilderness trail, then down to flame lake for an over night. then down to aubrey and back to searchmont. lynne and I last did that route in 2009 i believe. was a looong 2 days but, great riding on and offtrail.

Ski

As of this morning, Aubrey Falls area has the most recorded snow-depth in Ontario at 54cm (with exception of Manitoba Border area).

This includes north-east of Searchmont - Aubrey Falls - down to Elliot Lake.

I'm loaded up and leaving after work today. My colleagues are also skipping out early from work this week and riding starting on Friday morning. (Everyone caught the Snow Flu)

May see some of you on the trails this weekend. I ride a red Polaris XCR 440.

Dan-Senior

post-22452-0-03750500-1359639376_thumb.jpg

do they have overnight lodging at black creek? Dan F, where are you parking your truck/trailer in echo? i used to contact marty at the pitstop service station. he was VERY GOOD with info, and letting us park the vehicles so they were safe for a day or two. always had a smile, and was glad to give info on the trails and ice conditions. with the low snow winters and the big F trail not opening north of aubrey falls, we havent went that way in a loooooong time. i would love to ride from echo to flame lake again.

We should come up this weekend. i really need to ride and get away. i am just getting over the flu, and dont know if i should push it, and end up sick again or just rest another weekend.

would be awesome to run up to chapleau, via the old D trail and the wilderness trail, then down to flame lake for an over night. then down to aubrey and back to searchmont. lynne and I last did that route in 2009 i believe. was a looong 2 days but, great riding on and offtrail.

Ski

Hi Ski,

I tried to go to Chapleau last week and they are logging and scraping the roads/trails and I gave up about 10 miles south of Toll Creek. It was great until I popped over a bank to find logging trucks and endless plowed roads in many directions and the drivers said that both roads heading out to Chapleau were plowed and sanded.

On the other hand, I do not know why you can't run up the F trail to Flame Lake because there is really deep snow and has been. The Trailblazers did about 15 miles of the F trail up from Ranger Lake Road. Trees down would be my only worry, plenty of snow to groom and run up to Flame Lake from what I have seen. The new trail using the Domtar is great! We stayed at Black Creek Outfitters last Sunday night and the cabins are very nice! Call ahead because they have been booked most weekends.

I am going up today and hope to meet up with Dan Senior and friends for a ride.

Scott

hello Skidooboy. I contacted Buccis restauraunt in EchoBay very close to the Pitstop, they are practically neighbors and asked permission to overnight as long as we parked off to the side and out of the way. Good spot very close to the trail. we have picked up more snow with cooler temps, looking forward to the weekends ride. Talked to Dunlop Lake lodge this a.m. in Elliot Lake and they have had lots of sledders.

Archived