Dry winter???

Viperules700

Looked at the long range and shows no major snowfall for the next two weeks?? Anyone recieving any lake effect snow??? Never seen it so calm for so long. Barely any winds and only a few flakes each day. Hope it snows soon.

How easily we forget... it was only 2 years ago we went almost 6 weeks with no snow end of dec through mid/late jan. jet stream is looping low south right now. this might set us up for some late season colorado lows, or alberta clippers. but, time will tell, and time is running out on this season already. by march 15th we will have our first 60-70* day here in mid michigan and southern central ontario. for those playing along at home, that is only about 9 weeks away. then we will have 9 months to dream about the season of 2013-2014. good luck to all of us. Ski

How easily we forget... it was only 2 years ago we went almost 6 weeks with no snow end of dec through mid/late jan. jet stream is looping low south right now. this might set us up for some late season colorado lows, or alberta

clippers. but, time will tell, and time is running

out on this season already. by march 15th we

will have our first 60-70* day here in mid

michigan and southern central ontario. for those

playing along at home, that is only about 9

weeks away. then we will have 9 months to

dream about the season of 2013-2014. good

luck to all of us. Ski

Two years ago, I was riding in amazing powder. We had 3 feet in southern Ontario. Lucan received 2 meters in 48 hours. Just sucks no real big snowfalls yet.

We have not had a normal Winter snowfall here since 2009 when we did get over 36" in 72 hours..but then that was almost it for the rest of the Winter. So not even normal. 2008 was as close to normal as it has been in years now.

Aside from being dreadful for sledding (although not bad last year) dry Winters are damaging to the Spring freshet. When water the lakes need isn't there..then the Trent starts drawdown in June of all the lakes up this way and end up keeping the actual Canal system at full capacity..it's a travesty. Once the water is gone, it's gone. We need the snow for several reasons.

Looked at the long range and shows no major snowfall for the next two weeks?? Anyone recieving any lake effect snow??? Never seen it so calm for so long. Barely any winds and only a few flakes each day. Hope it snows soon.

Hey Viper don't loose faith! It can all change in a matter of days ( or hrs even like I saw earlier in the season). They don't know what will happen tomorrow, sure don't know what can happen in the next 2 weeks. Too many variables.

Minimal lake effect snow here in Sault Ste. Marie yesterday and overnight, may 3" (7.5 centimetres) in 24 hours. Riders are reporting significant snowdepth north of Ranger Lake on the Domtar. Approximately 20"

Lots of Lake effect in Belleville this year. Every snowfall this year has ended up about 30% more than predictions.

E108 looked great around here yesterday when I was heading to my dads. Just finishing breakfast and will be on the trails in an hour, will post pictures.

Won't be getting any snow this morning, -34 Celsius ..... frikken BRRRrrrrr !!!! Calling for a few cm's tonight and for the next coupla days. Loves da snow, hates da cold !

f-all in elmira....light dustings...no wind...cold..no precip....no sleddin

Cold up here, glad to have the cold before snow

We got about at least 6 inches of fresh powder in Huntsville this morning, have been out a couple of times already..

The GFS weather model sees the active storm track returning around the 11th. This will be proceeded by a significant warmup, the damage of which will be determined if accompanied by rain. The good news, is the cold air that will wrap around the storm and start a train of snow storms.

Of course, the skill on such a weather model is very low for this far out.

As Joe Bastardi says, enjoy your weather, it's the only weather you've got. It's true. I think we've done a lot better this year than last. There are almost 5000km of trails open right now!

Leading up to the 11th TWN was predicting several days of 5-10cm days of snowfall..this forecast remained on their website for Carnarvon for days now..then this morning..it all vanished! Even rain showing up and nowhere near the snow that they had slated. I really wonder why they bother posting something that far out. I no longer hold any stock in anything more than three days out.

Things are really freezing solid here though. With very little snow the cold is sure sinking in.

Now I'm confident the snow will fall. I am concerned for another dry Spring and Summer. There was a lot of heat stress on trees here last Summer, very low lake levels, July and August saw almost zero rain. We need the snowpack melt come Spring.

I just checked the model forcaster for the next week. Ugh! The four letter r word is there!

I just checked the model forcaster for the next week. Ugh! The four letter r word is there!

All your fault for updating your ride. Ready to head north yet??? I am hoping to go to hail and Kearny again. Maybe do the rap if if is ready in a few weeks.

All your fault for updating your ride. Ready to head north yet??? I am hoping to go to hail and Kearny again. Maybe do the rap if if is ready in a few weeks.

I bought used! I think we know who the jinx is!

I bought used! I think we know who the jinx is!

What are the snow levels like your way? Any lake effect towards blyth yet?

The rain you are seeing is likely the storm that is setting up for Wednesday the ninth. Looks like it starts as rain but should turn to snow...

What is the blocking that Brett Anderson is talking about and the flip flopping of the ECWMF or something like that? You're the only guy who can make sense of this Stu!! - Happy New Year.

The blocking refers to high pressure setting up in northern lattitudes that will block arctic air from coming south. So, ideally, we want it in the area of greenland, so there is a funneling effect that brings the arctic air this way! Last year, there was no blocking, so the jet stream remained far in the north, with no arctic intrusions. Europe on the other hand endured brutal cold. Same with Alaska!

Archived