groomer guy pissed at trail closure

slomo

From his facebook page...........................

The Groomer Guy Snowmobiling Information/Chat Page.

Monday at 10:01am · 5SYOjS874Mk.png

Attention!!!! remember guys I posted a Picture about a new link for a trail north of sault ste marie to Chapleau... well it looks like it will not happend as our District (13) has posted this this morning

"Algoma Sno Plan Affiliation Due to circumstances beyond our control this new link will not be available until further notice. We are sorry for any incontinence" taking about the new link to chapleau.

BTW...thanks for the news Luc!

what a pile....of steaming dog....

This was not a very well thought out proposal anyway, putting a new trail down an active logging road that you know will be plowed for 20 to 25 kms not to mention the last 9 kms before the F trail is on a highway.

This was not a very well thought out proposal anyway, putting a new trail down an active logging road that you know will be plowed for 20 to 25 kms not to mention the last 9 kms before the F trail is on a highway.

Hi Elliotgroomer,

Are you reffering to the the end nearest Chapleau?

What about the "NEW" proposed loop trail to Aubrey Falls which is still under the "photos" section on the Trailblazer's web page?

This loop if done will open up "short-weekend" loops worth riding in SSM for us Michigan folks trying to introduce Ontario to other sledders from home. I have ridden to Elliot Lake and stayed many times. Saddly, many of the places in your area which I really enjoyed are gone or closed in the winter now.

I was reffering to the proposed trail from the Soo to Aubrey Falls, it was to run on the Domtar logging road and come out on the Ranger Lake highway and it is 9 kms from there to the F trail on the shoulder of the highway and from what I understand there are 3 different logging operations going on the Domtar road. I don't know who or why this trail was put on hold.

It hurts everyone with so many being closed north of town now, the one positive thing this year is that Black Creek Outfitters has new owners and will be open for fuel and accomodations, Aubrey Falls Trading post has a caretaker there and will dispence fuel (cash only) and if you call far enough ahead they will make accomodations available as well as a limited menu.

IMO the proposed trail up to Chapleau from the Domtar road is a stupid idea, when the F trail is allready there, the new trail would bypass Flame Lake lodge an excellent stop for food and fuel. There is no stops on the new proposed trail.

Now the D106 trail from Echo Bay goes to Aubrey but you would have to return on the same trail.

i never understood running a trail on or near a plowed and sanded roadway. too much effort goes into the trail, and then it closes as soon and the first sun rays hit it. not to mention the saftey issue of running on an active logging road. you have to hit these types of trails on days during or right after a snow fall, or the plows and sand get to it, and then it causes more wear and tear to your machines.

i am sad there is not another route or loop to get us to aubrey falls and or chapleau to avoid the seldom open but, awesome when it is, F trail from chapleau to aubrey falls.

i have not been on this trail in years, and i miss not being able to see my friends Karen and Gary at flame lake lodge. Ski

I was reffering to the proposed trail from the Soo to Aubrey Falls, it was to run on the Domtar logging road and come out on the Ranger Lake highway and it is 9 kms from there to the F trail on the shoulder of the highway and from what I understand there are 3 different logging operations going on the Domtar road. I don't know who or why this trail was put on hold. It hurts everyone with so many being closed north of town now, the one positive thing this year is that Black Creek Outfitters has new owners and will be open for fuel and accomodations, Aubrey Falls Trading post has a caretaker there and will dispence fuel (cash only) and if you call far enough ahead they will make accomodations available as well as a limited menu. IMO the proposed trail up to Chapleau from the Domtar road is a stupid idea, when the F trail is allready there, the new trail would bypass Flame Lake lodge an excellent stop for food and fuel. There is no stops on the new proposed trail. Now the D106 trail from Echo Bay goes to Aubrey but you would have to return on the same trail.

Thanks for the info. I did not know of the logging on Domtar Road. I use to run it over to Aubrey Falls and as you say, if Ranger Lake Road was a dirty mess, it was nasty for that last jump over to the bridge where the F trail comes in.

The problem has been that the F Trail has not been opened for 3 seasons. It should be re-routed if possible to make it easier to open. I love the trail just north of Aubrey Falls, but it is much easier to groom old logging roads. With that in mind, the direct cut through to Chapleau would open a faster way north from the Soo. A "BIG" sign would have to be at the start of the trail warning of the distance to Chapleau because most would need an extra can of fuel. We have run straight through for years on our Crossfires, but they have a large tank. I love Flame Lake and always stop there when the F trail is open. I really want to see it open again this year. I would also like to run east to North Bay and vist Manitolin Island, and run the ice bridges again too!

I guess we just need conditions!

Yeah, I hate Plowed roads, here we try to as much posible to stay off, I will plow a ditch, anything to go off a plowed road. I sure hope this get's fixed, we need a trail from Sault Ste Marie.

Hey Slomo lol I'm not pissed....... maybe it sounded like it but I'm not, "m disapointed tho.

Yeah, I hate Plowed roads, here we try to as much posible to stay off, I will plow a ditch, anything to go off a plowed road. I sure hope

this get's fixed, we need a trail from Sault Ste

Marie.

Hey Slomo lol I'm not pissed....... maybe it

sounded like it but I'm not, "m disapointed tho.

Why not just open up the d trail again. Most new sleds can go the 250kms anyway's. The issue would be getting it groomed, since you would need a sleeper cab and two operators. Easier said then done, I guess.

Why not just open up the d trail again. Most new sleds can go the 250kms anyway's. The issue would be getting it groomed, since you would need a sleeper cab and two operators. Easier said then done, I guess.

No margin for error= bad idea

170 miles with no services whatsoever. break down, run out of fuel, get hurt..... baaaaaaad ju ju happens. then add in -30 temps.... think about that liability payment for the insurance company. Ski

The direct way to Chapleau is much shorter at about 125 miles, but still no services. Would still have most sleds carrying extra gas. The big tank sleds, or Etecs, or 4 strokes might be fine.

Out west we had sign-in / sign-out sheets and that sort of thing done by phone or with SPOT would be a way to know all are OK. This then makes some organization responsible and I am sure nobody wants the responsibility here.

Let's face it, in most long connections, you are responsible for yourself in the same way. When I go north from Dub to Hornepayne and take the long side of the 100 mile loop, nobody else is going to come along to find me! At least not for a week or two!

If you do not have your own backup you have nothing. The grooming makes it easy for the unprepared to get out into a bad situation.

If you do not have your own backup you have nothing. The grooming makes it easy for the unprepared to get out into a bad situation.

Too true! That is the main reason that I bought a SPOT. Incidentally, I use Ni-MH batteries in mine as opposed to the LIthium that are recommended. I do carry at least one spare set with me and charge them every night. Yes, the light goes red to indicate a low battery almost immediately, however, in real world testing, the unit can run in tracking mode for three days before the batteries are dead. I figure that if the batteries go dead, and I am out of spares, it won't matter anyway (at least to me)

Archived