Anyone elese winter camp from their sleds? Saves on Motel rooms. lol

DSC00038.jpg

Always looking for more ppl.

RR

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow your brave.

Many moons ago..no tent.either. slept on pine bows that were set on a platform, then a tarp strung up over us and sleeping bags on top of the pine bows. Was warm enough...just frozen boots in the morning. Cooked canned goods right in the fire (always open first)!

It's funny you should ask about winter camping.

We were out by the McDonald River today (hwy 400 north of Port Severn) and kept seeing boots going in one direction. Could've been a hiker doing a long loop, but the feeling I got was 'winter camping'. Mild enough this week.

As for your set-up---bravo.

Never done it and probably too old to start.

It's great to see folks really enjoying winter.

Glad I did it. I don't know how keen I would be to try it again now. I enjoy Winter, but I really remember trying to put on frozen boots and it was like trying to jam your feet into ice cube trays. I like to be warm at the end of the day!

I have done it once before. Not with sleds but I have winter camped before. You have a great set up!

We built a quinzee and it was surprisingly warm (or not cold)

I've done it in high school as part of an outdoor education class, but never trail side on the sled.

My dad did it once about 10 years ago. Said never again will he be cheap like that LOL.

Actually biggest problem he found, was the morons out after dark running the trails half drunk. Woke up the next morning to find sled tracks within feet of his tent.

Did it once many many moons ago as part of a survival course. A retired Canadian Forces guy was making a living teaching what he learned in the military. Amazing experience. Helicopter drops you into Algonquin in the middle of winter with a compass, a map and some basic survival gear. Three days later you arrive at your completion point and are scored on how close to the exact point you are. I am glad I did it but don't want to do it again.

I know my wife would never go for it. When we first met we camped one weekend at Balsam Lake park and slept in the back of the pickup on a double wide air mattress. I thought it was comfortable. Notice I said once.

Just reading in the Central Ontario Snowmobile! magazine how the OPP SAVE team has expanded it's two day training program to five days and part of it is an overnighter in the bush with minimal gear and just enough food to survive but feel hungry. They build a shelter and fire to keep warm, then do some cold water immersion training up near Dorset. Participants have to crawl out of the water onto the ice using ice awls, (twice) so they are soaked, then build a fire on shore with materials to keep warm.

Pretty impressive training!

Just reading in the Central Ontario Snowmobile! magazine how the OPP SAVE team has expanded it's two day training program to five days and part of it is an overnighter in the bush with minimal gear and just enough food to survive but feel hungry. They build a shelter and fire to keep warm, then do some cold water immersion training up near Dorset. Participants have to crawl out of the water onto the ice using ice awls, (twice) so they are soaked, then build a fire on shore with materials to keep warm.

Pretty impressive training!

they have to do something to make them that mean

It's funny you should ask about winter camping.

We were out by the McDonald River today (hwy 400 north of Port Severn) and kept seeing boots going in one direction. Could've been a hiker doing a long loop, but the feeling I got was 'winter camping'. Mild enough this week.

As for your set-up---bravo.

Never done it and probably too old to start.

It's great to see folks really enjoying winter.

Way too old ;)

they have to do something to make them that mean

Day old donuts work as well. :icon_cankick:

Each winter as part of the happy wife happy life program we go to a nice resort for a weekend of sledding rather than just the usual weekend in Port Severn. Last year we were at Deerhurst for the family day weekend. This year my wife has suggested another place she thinks might be nice. Somewhere she can get a massage at the end of the day. http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/yqajw-jw-marriott-the-rosseau-muskoka-resort-and-spa/ Canuck... rumour has it this is nicer than the mother ship. I just keep telling myself it makes her happy....

So for me overnight in a tent in Feb is out of the question.

Too bad I didn't know about your interest in the Marriott property earlier.

They had a Groupon circulating (it's a coupon, not a term for a massage).

Too bad I didn't know about your interest in the Marriott property earlier.

They had a Groupon circulating (it's a coupon, not a term for a massage).

I saw it and was seriously looking at it but they had so many dates excluded that it left the weekend windows too limited. I suspect we will end up there for the family day weekend

I saw it and was seriously looking at it but they had so many dates excluded that it left the weekend windows too limited. I suspect we will

end up there for the family day weekend

Another great spot is the ecolodge in elk lake. Can get massages there and the sled trails are mint, mint. Like a mini deerhurst.

Well great to see people have lots of different experience. Let me tell you we don't do survival we camp in comfort. The tent is s Snowtrekker. I have one and my buddy has one. They have wood stoves and it is not warm but hot inside. Some times we take cots and sometimes it is on the floor with padding. i used to cold tent, use tarps Bivy bags......... Never too old. I'm in my mid 50's and love it. I think everyone should spend one night out in the winter so they have done it once. We as snowmobilers go through the most remote areas and are probably the least prepared. We this isn't a survival thread but wondered if anyone winter camps regularly. We'll be heading out a few times this winter.

DSC00017.jpg

Proper gear is important but I used summer gear for a few years first. Took my twenty plus years before I went to a hot tent.

RR

what area do you usually camp in?

We will camp anywhere it is possible. We like being north of the Severn River since there is more Crown Land so no private property issues. We would like to do a trip with some milage but the winters haven't been real great. Se usually just head into somewhere and base camp for the weekend. I was just up Black River road checking out some spots for this season. East of Baysville near Big Wind PP.

Someone asked about the stove. This one was bought with the tent. Kni- co is the company. Princess Auto sells a small stove for $99. Needs some mods so you can put a pot on it. It has round sides so no flat top. There are lots of options. Camped in the Baxter snowriders area before too.

Everyone has their own idea of winter camping. This was Algonquin Park last Feb

DSC00263-1.jpg

DSC00256.jpg

RR

There are a lot of little places you can tuck in off Black River Road. Plus you're right on the B. great MSR trails or over to the HCSA trails. I ATV a lot in there in the Summer and like the fact that you can be in there all day and not see a soul.

I used to Atv in there years ago. Before the HATVA. The area sure has changed. There are now road signs and lots of chains across roads. Now if they would open a Timmy's in Dorset I could camp and still go for my coffee in the morning.

RR

Of the tent or the RV?

Archived