Bala Trails

Muskoka Man

Here is a article of the uphill battle of the Bala sled club

website%20bro.jpg?dl=1

If its too small click here: https://www.dropbox....bsite%20bro.jpg

Article sure paints a poor picture of sledders. And people wonder why non sledders get a bad perception.

Article sure paints a poor picture of sledders. And people wonder why non sledders get a bad perception.

Yeah - love that photo caption "sometimes over private land" !!

Hats off to the club for all the work they've done the past couple of years to get us through and around Bala - tons of work and lots of negotiating including no guarantees on trails staying open for the thousands of dollars spent. Bala has always been a challenge.

Strikes me that the author has an 'agenda'.

Strikes me that the author has an 'agenda'.

Well, it strikes me as sort of a B.S. publication as well. Not sure why it exists. No hard news, just puff pieces about who is attending what and some other what's going on in the area reporting. I'd be just as happy to see them pack up, leave town and let the reporting of news events go back in to the hands of the local newspapers.

Well, it strikes me as sort of a B.S. publication as well. Not sure why it exists. No hard news, just puff pieces about who is attending what and some other what's going on in the area reporting. I'd be just as happy to see them pack up, leave town and let the reporting of news events go back in to the hands of the local newspapers.

The only problem is that in a small community some people who are not sledders will read it and believe everything they read as they are inclined that way already. Then they talk to others in the community and poison them and it just keeps on spreading.

From my perspective, the real problem here is this Dr. Geist infringing upon our native people's right of travel on a trail for which winter passage has a precidence from the time the Wahta Mohawks left Oka, Quebec (some argument between Anglican and Catholic Mohawks) and were given the Wahta reserve over a hundred years ago.

Maybe the Mohawks should be claiming their Oka trail travel rights from Geist. The sled club could secure the trail through negotiation with the Mohawks. There might even be federal grant money available. Call it "The Cranberry Route". (Bala being the cranberry capital of Ontario)

From my perspective, the real problem here is this Dr. Geist infringing upon our native people's right of travel on a trail for which winter passage has a precidence from the time the Wahta Mohawks left Oka, Quebec (some argument between Anglican and Catholic Mohawks) and were given the Wahta reserve over a hundred years ago.

Maybe the Mohawks should be claiming their Oka trail travel rights from Geist. The sled club could secure the trail through negotiation with the Mohawks. There might even be federal grant money available. Call it "The Cranberry Route". (Bala being the cranberry capital of Ontario)

That probably has the best chance of success of all. Fighting aboriginal "rights" is almost a lost cause in Canada. Whenever they make a claim that they made a bad deal and didn't get treated fairly 120 years ago we hand over vast amounts of cash.

I'm sure everyone here would be fine with some organization claiming they have a right to cross your property because there's some goat path on it? Not a snowmobile trail that was there when she bought, but some old path apparently used by natives a hundred + years ago.

there are always at least 2 sides to the story, but what I read there makes perfect sense. the Dr. is not a sledder and is excersising her property rights - something we take for granted in Canada. I also didn't read that its impossible to find a resolution with the land owner?

I'm sure everyone here would be fine with some organization claiming they have a right to cross your property because there's some goat path on it? Not a snowmobile trail that was there when she bought, but some old path apparently used by natives a hundred + years ago.

there are always at least 2 sides to the story, but what I read there makes perfect sense. the Dr. is not a sledder and is excersising her property rights - something we take for granted in Canada. I also didn't read that its impossible to find a resolution with the land owner?

I agree.... she has every right to simply say I don't want the sleds on my property. The way the article is written it portrays sledders in a bad light with the 'we will go ahead regardless attitude that was conveyed"

Good thinking! Don't believe the Mohawks had goats, but if a predecent can be set, so much the better. After all, the good doctor is using the 'beaver' and 'peat bog' as needing saving, both of which are in plenty of supply in Canada and hardly endangered.

Another side is the general attitude of this come from somewhere else, one issue precious community - opposing a clean source of power as it will create bussle (not to mention business) in their little 'cottage' town. Went so far as to have the 'falls', a stream of water so irrelevant I piss better than it after a pot of coffee, designated as a 'protected water fall'.

By the way, they are now considering lowering the speed limit on highway 169 to 60 kilometers per hour from the south end of Bala to the railway crossing at Torrance.

http://www.moosefm.c...-on-highway-169

Unless you like listening to Brahms lullabies in your vehicle as you drive, hope you enjoy that. Not sure what the reasoning is - maybe raises too much dust for the stone church and Bala's depleted business section. Won't be long before they'll be wanting to cut down oak trees like that woman in Toronto whose kids have nut allergies,

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2012/11/14/chris-selley-our-kids-are-living-in-mortal-fear-of-oak-trees/

and of course that other evil scourge - pine cone nuts - will be dealt with next.

Someone needs to talk to thier realtor and lawyer who failed to inform them at the time of purchase that the colonization road existed.

Archived