Gas Station Closures & Openings

revrnd

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ESSO station on Simcoe south of Port Perry in the Ridges is still closed.

Does anyone know the status of Mochulla's (Stinson gas) in Whitney? It was closed when we drove by on Friday afternoon. Pumps weren't tarped over. I've never had to get gas but it is an alternative to the gas station beside the bridge in town.

I was thru Whitney twice during the last week of May and nothing had changed.

Ā 

BTW, the ESSO just north of Bird's Creek (on Hwy 62) is closed for the time being due to a pickup colliding w/ the building & causing structural damage. Stop 62 further north towards Maynooth & the gas station in Maynooth itself are both open.

Does anyone know the status of Mochulla's (Stinson gas) in Whitney? It was closed when we drove by on Friday afternoon. Pumps weren't tarped over. I've never had to get gas but it is an alternative to the gas station beside the bridge in town.

It was just sold,Ā  young eager new owners, plan to be open for winter as well as looking at getting sled route to help the sledders

Ā 

Also saw new pumps are in at Key River Esso, place never looked so good,Ā  new pumps did help.

It was just sold,Ā  young eager new owners, plan to be open for winter as well as looking at getting sled route to help the sledders

Ā 

Also saw new pumps are in at Key River Esso, place never looked so good,Ā  new pumps did help.

Ā 

I've read reports of how tough it is for the privately owned gas station operators to make a living. Apparently you need a pretty high volume of sales to cover your overhead. The retailer margins are allegedly small.

I've read reports of how tough it is for the privately owned gas station operators to make a living. Apparently you need a pretty high volume of sales to cover your overhead. The retailer margins are allegedly small.

I think they will be OK, The auto service side will carry them through the winter,Ā  I do know the folks & don't see them having a lot of problems, just some life adjustmentsĀ i will say,Ā  No money in gas so its the rest they offer,

I think they will be OK, The auto service side will carry them through the winter,Ā  I do know the folks & don't see them having a lot of problems, just some life adjustmentsĀ i will say,Ā  No money in gas so its the rest they offer,

Ā 

I thought it was just gas you were talking about... with a service side I guess it can work

Not to knock the "little guy" but several years ago I almost got into an argument w/ a guy @ the Canisbay campground gate. A camper was looking for a tire for his RV. Someone was showing him the Mochulla ad in the Algonquin guide. I suggested he head to Huntsville. I said Mochulla's was a little shop & possibly wouldn't have the tire he needed. The next closest place was Barry's Bay. He got all pissy w/ me. I added that in a town the size of Huntsville (w/ a Canadian Tire) he should be able to find a Ā replacement tire.

Ā 

He left in a huff. I looked @ my buddy & we both shrugged.

• 2 weeks later...

Use your debit card or cash. Ā The cost to the vendor for your credit card are just one more nail in the coffin of small business. Ā He don't owe you any points toward your trip down south and can't afford to subsidize it.

Use your debit card or cash. Ā The cost to the vendor for your credit card are just one more nail in the coffin of small business. Ā He don't owe you any points toward your trip down south and can't afford to subsidize it.

everybody thinks that the big guy is payingĀ 

I feel sorry for the merchant accepting the credit cards. Each card has a different transaction fee associated with it that the merchant pays. The largest of the batch is Amex. But the even Visa or Mastercard have varying fees depending on is Gold, Platinum, cash back program, or pointsĀ etc.

Ā 

The only ones that know exactly what the fees will be are the big merchants like Canadian Tire, Sears, The Bay who because of volume are able to negotiate a rate. I know Moneris needs to be paid for processing the transaction but for the small guy not to know how much he will get dinged from one card to the next must be tough.

Ā 

It seems that they (the banks) have you in a damned if you do damned if you don't. Since we were mentioning banks the other day I was talking to a friend of mine who sells and installs windows and doors. He told me his bank for his business account charges him a fee for cash deposits over a certain amount. I believe he said it was $5 per $1000. They don't want to deal in cash. They prefer credit cards or cheques. But then they get you on the fees for those as well.

I will be supporting the new Ultramar(Adrinnes old Esso) as much as I can. With Peacock Bay Marina gone this will help out a lot... May reduce Port Sydney trips a little.

Will be nice - now if we can get them to open a little breakfast Restaurant........

Notes from my summer trip

Ā 

Serpent River new "Pump" gas station on Hwy 17. Not sure if it is accessible from the trails or not.

Ā 

Huntsville Construction @ the closed Esso south of town on Hwy 11. Is this just site remediation due to its closure or are there plans to reopen it? Ā 

Ā 

I noticed last weekend it looked ready to reopen, probably new owners

I will be supporting the new Ultramar(Adrinnes old Esso) as much as I can. With Peacock Bay Marina gone this will help out a lot... May reduce Port Sydney trips a little.

Will be nice - now if we can get them to open a little breakfast Restaurant........

X2 for me as well, I stopped in there in this morning and the owner is really nice, Had a nice chat about snowmobiling, he indicated he would be supporting the local club, also mentioned they are planning on opening the restaurant hopefully before the winter as well.

I will be giving him my business as it is great based on the location and the trail that runs through his parking lot.

• 4 weeks later...

If a person does not want to pay the credit card rip off then don't accept them. Many places I stop at are cash only and don't even have a debit machine. Might seem harsh but they don't pay the fees.

Ā 

I do remember when if you paid cash you got a discount but no more! Most if not all factor in a percentage to cover the cost of credit cards and if you pay cash hey they make more. If your not adding a percentage and selling at a loss then who's fault is that.

If a person does not want to pay the credit card rip off then don't accept them. Many places I stop at are cash only and don't even have a debit machine. Might seem harsh but they don't

pay the fees.

I do remember when if you paid cash you got a discount but no more! Most if not all factor in a

percentage to cover the cost of credit cards and

if you pay cash hey they make more. If your not

adding a percentage and selling at a loss then

who's fault is that.

Legally you are no longer able to have a cash discount. Credit card companies faught buisness that did such a thing and won, saying it was hurting their sales.

New Esso station has opened up in Blind river, Right across the road from the OPP station.

Its on the same side of the road as the trail, no more having to cross 4 lanes of traffic to get gas.

That is good news!

• 4 weeks later...

There is a new Shell station in Brechin. Ā Tim Horton's moved in there too. Ā Going to be harsh competition for the Coffee Time just down the way, but a good place to stop on your trip up #12.

Cheers

There is a new Shell station in Brechin. Ā Tim Horton's moved in there too. Ā Going to be harsh competition for the Coffee Time just down the way, but a good place to stop on your trip up #12.

Cheers

the coffe time has great sandwichesĀ 

Cheers

Ā 

Still waiting for re:leaf to draw us a map to the Ultramar just up the highway ;)

Ā 

post-19713-0-36754300-1441362951_thumb.j

Ā 

post-19713-0-75524400-1441362965_thumb.j

Ā 

This area was one of our favourite spots last year - was shocked that the trails had completely melted away by the very next weekend.

Ā 

http://ontarioconditions.com/forums/index.php?/topic/14418-2015-lagoon-city-orillia-brechin-march-7-8/

Ā 

Ā 

- any sledding access to the new Shell from behind? Looks to be designed well as seems to be plenty of room for vehicles towing trailers,etc.

Yes. I am determined to learn how to draw on a map. I will post it shortly. I know I said that before but now I mean it :)

post-22483-0-11677800-1442027063_thumb.png

I finally did it :-) The green line will lead you to the Ultramar gas station and Country Style donuts. Please be careful crossing the railway tracks.

Archived