Gas Station Closures & Openings

revrnd

I was up to the eastern portion of Algonquin on the weekend (now closed due to forest fires) & saw 3 stations that were gone.

Combermere - the Axiom station on CR 62 just north of Hwy 515 is gone, pumps removed. The pumps are gone from the gas station west of town as of Feb' 2015.

Barry's Bay - the Shell that was run by the old witch is closed. There is an Esso @ the 3 way stop (Hwy 60/CR 62). 

Bonnechere - the Axiom station there on CR 58 is closed. The Stinson across the road is still open.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks revrnd.

Hopefully the trail guides will reflect the above. They'll be going to print 'soon'. Let it snow, let it snow.

Along the lines of gas stations..the Esso at Hwy 118 and Hwy 35 OFTEN, runs out of fuel. Do not ever count on them having fuel. It is a weekly occurrence now that this place runs dry. Apparently the owner has terrible credit, so Esso will only deliver fuel to him if he pays cash. He only buys the minimum delivery..ergo he runs out fast.

Along the lines of gas stations..the Esso at Hwy 118 and Hwy 35 OFTEN, runs out of fuel. Do not ever count on them having fuel. It is a weekly occurrence now that this place runs dry. Apparently the owner has terrible

credit, so Esso will only deliver fuel to him if he

pays cash. He only buys the minimum

delivery..ergo he runs out fast.

X2 on this as well.

Sandy lane resort about 5 miles down the trail of you go past this station and across the road and follow trail always has fuel. Thankyou to them.

X2 on this as well.

Sandy lane resort about 5 miles down the trail of you go past this station and across the road and follow trail always has fuel. Thankyou to them.

You mean the marina up at Hawk Lake? Sandy lane has no gas.

The other close option is in West Guilford. From the TOPB towards Haliburton, get off at HCSA 5 and it is a five minute skip into West Guilford for juice.

Ox narrows has no fuel either now..and I am not sure if they will again or not. Options are slim for sure now.

Along the lines of gas stations..the Esso at Hwy 118 and Hwy 35 OFTEN, runs out of fuel. Do not ever count on them having fuel. It is a weekly occurrence now that this place runs dry. Apparently the owner has terrible credit, so Esso will only deliver fuel to him if he pays cash. He only buys the minimum delivery..ergo he runs out fast.

x3 discovered i could run from there to the xtr in hali with all of our fuel lights on apex. vector xp800

• 3 months later...

Update on the Esso in Carnarvon....

It looks dead in the water. The Esso signs have been covered over for a few weeks now and " under construction" signs have been up since August as well as fencing around the pumps, however, there certainly is no work going on there at all.

Looks like a sure bet there will be no gas here this Winter. I'd say they are on the verge of going under.

The next closest stop is the Shell in West Guilford. If you're running the TOPB towards Haliburton you would have to exit at trail 5 and follow that into west Guilford ...about a ten to fifteen minute side trip from the B Top's. They don't have late hours though.

There was no need for that Esso to close. Total mismanagement! One store's revenue supporting two?

They usually didn't have gas anyway. They were out of gas almost every weekend plus they were way more expensive.

There was no need for that Esso to close. Total mismanagement! One store's revenue supporting two?

Is it for sale?

The new Petro Canada in Port Severn is taking shape. It's in the Baxter club area --- Gateway to Georgian Bay.

(not a 'closure' but hey, we need positive news as well)

• 11 months later...

I was up to Grundy Lake Prov' Park last week & passed a few gas stations along the way. Some of this may be old news to some, but helpful to others.

Haliburton: the gas station on Hwy 118 east of town @ the top of the hill by Skyline Park is closed & for lease.

Matthiasville (suburb of Housey's Rapids): is the BBC Country Store on Hwy 118 @ Uffington Rd. closed? I've been past it twice this summer & even though there was no signage stating it was closed, it hasn't looked too promising.

Arnstein: on Hwy 522, is gas available at the repair shop (lights & "open" sign on)

Farley's Corners: intersection of Hwys 522 & 524, business closed & pumps tarped 

Golden Valley: east of hamlet on Hwy 522, business closed & pumps tarped 

Novar: gas @ the Foodland (west side of Hwy 11)

Port Loring: 1) the general store pumps weren't covered, but no gas or price sign visible 

2) (old Shell station?) further west on south side of Hwy 522, pumps tarped 

Did you notice that the Beacon on the corner has Shell gas and Diesel? Busy there each time I have gone by.
(thanks doogirl 69)

For the northern riders, Butler Lake Tuck Stop north of Kirkland Lake is closed again.  It's been mentioned on OC before but it never hurts to keep the info fresh.

Not to pull anybody away from stopping in Kirkland Lake or Matheson but there is a gas station 3km north of where A110Q meets "A" trail in Kenogami.  MacPherson's Esso in Sesekinika is trail accessed less than a mile west off of "A" trail. Signs are on A trail, watch for them because this is a quick stretch and signs are easily missed at 100 kph.          

My friend a trucker out of North Bay had emailed me earlier this year that Butler Lake had closed up. I was camping @ Esker Lakes last year & we arranged to meet him & his wife there for lunch. He was surprised when he drove by & saw that it had closed.

My friend a trucker out of North Bay had emailed me earlier this year that Butler Lake had closed up. I was camping @ Esker Lakes last year & we arranged to meet him & his wife there for lunch. He was surprised when he drove by & saw that it had closed.

Nice to hear of southerners coming up north to feed the black flies and mosquitoes.  We were seasonal campers at Esker for years.  We travel south a little more now and spent time at Six Mile Lake Provincial Park this summer.

Nice to hear of southerners coming up north to feed the black flies and mosquitoes. 

LOL.

I worked @ the Jr Ranger camp on Burt Lake out towards Matachewan back in '79.

Port Loring: 1) the general store pumps weren't covered, but no gas or price sign visible 

2) (old Shell station?) further west on south side of Hwy 522, pumps tarped 

The gas pumps in Port Loring at the hardware/general store were open and busy in August, so likely open in the winter. Should also be able to get gas at Tornado's -on trail - but would check ahead during winter.

Nice to hear of southerners coming up north to feed the black flies and mosquitoes.  We were seasonal campers at Esker for years.  We travel south a little more now and spent time at Six Mile Lake Provincial Park this summer.

Hope you enjoyed Six Mile Lake park. We camped there for years and always got site #29. Best site in the place by my estimation. Relatively private and on the edge of the water. Had the trailer on the site and the boat in the water right there. Our golden loved to swim there which you couldn't do at the park beach. Good walleye fishing there as well.

Matthiasville (suburb of Housey's Rapids): is the BBC Country Store on Hwy 118 @ Uffington Rd. closed? I've been past it twice this summer & even though there was no signage stating it was closed, it hasn't looked too promising.

FOR SALE

http://www.icx.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=13709159&PidKey=934297598

2049 HIGHWAY 118 EAST, BRACEBRIDGE. PRICE: $299,000

On the main East/West highway leading into Bracebridge, the Cottage Country General Store offers all the basic needs for locals and cottagers, including Gas Bar and propane filling station. Included is a 4 bedroom residence with fenced yard and double car garage. Great opportunity for a lifestyle change with 1.4 acre lot to spread your wings in beautiful Muskoka. Solid year-round business with good sales history available.

Here is the message I got back from Dan Feasby at Wrights point

"Good afternoon Kevin. Yes the lodge will be open this winter. Buchanan's in Port Loring is open 7 days per week and sells gas. As well the Arnstein Garage is open Monday to Saturday and sells gas. We are not licensed to sell gas but I always keep a couple of 5 gallon cans around for emergency. Are you planning on coming up this winter? Take care and have a wonderful thanksgiving weekend. Dan"

Archived