Winter 2012-2013

dweese

Ok so I know today is the first day is summer but saw on CBC.ca that because of the low snow fall last winter and the early warm weather we had March. The great lakes are already 7c higher in temp than normal. Lake Ontario off Toronto is normally only 10c this time of year and it's already at 17c

This is because there was no major snow run off to keep the feeder streams and rivers cold which help keep the lakes cool.

So what this could mean for the coming winter is much higher snow amounts as the lakes will take much longer to cool off alown more lake effect snow.

The theory sounds good......LOL

like your thinking...but...i thought the same about georgian bay last winter...least amount of snow in years...

theory sounds good, now we wait lol.........long lab experiment !

hope your right !

You just need the cold air and the right wind direction. This didn't occur last winter. Warmer water can cause warmer land temps too, so get your rain gear ready. Hopefully we get artic air and a great Canadian style winter. Cheers to that, we need it bad .

Good theory!

hey,there was snow last year,,,there is always snow,somewhere,,prepare to travel,if you do not have to bonus,if you do,welcome to snowmobiling,,,,,,cheers,,

hey,there was snow last year,,,there is always snow,somewhere,,prepare to travel,if you do not have to bonus,if you do,welcome to snowmobiling,,,,,,cheers,,

Yeah, but Edmonton is a long way for a weekend :rotflmao:

When the jetsream keeps the cold air out it has no chance to pick up moisture from the warmer lakes..I am not even going to try to speculate what kind of Winter we will have this year. Most every forecast was so out of wack!! Winter will arrive sometime and we have to make the best of it. Trailer if you have to, ride different areas if you have to. I think all the OCers should charter a C130 and get air dropped in the Yukon.

Didn't we do back-to-back Cochrane weekends in April, 2011?

There are tornado chasers and then there's "Got Snow?" Sledjunk.

:)

I'm not surprised you chimed in here, SJ. I recall you saying perhaps in a weak moment...) that you absolutely would NOT go beyond Winnipeg to find snow for a weekend of riding :poke2::icon_tinykitball:

I'm not surprised you chimed in here, SJ. I recall you saying perhaps in a weak moment...) that you absolutely would NOT go beyond Winnipeg to find snow for a weekend of riding :poke2::icon_tinykitball:

I NEVER say never :rotflmao:

Didn't we do back-to-back Cochrane weekends in April, 2011?

There are tornado chasers and then there's "Got Snow?" Sledjunk.

:)

The snow melted so fast it was in real. Groomerguy said they lost most of thief base in a few days. It was crazy. They normally ride into April. Poor guy risked his life to save s few lake markers too. Hopefully they get new ones to replace the ones that were lost.

Ok so I know today is the first day is summer but saw on CBC.ca that because of the low snow fall last winter and the early warm weather we had March. The great lakes are already 7c higher in temp than normal. Lake Ontario off Toronto is normally only 10c this time of year and it's already at 17c

This is because there was no major snow run off to keep the feeder streams and rivers cold which help keep the lakes cool.

So what this could mean for the coming winter is much higher snow amounts as the lakes will take much longer to cool off alown more lake effect snow.

The theory sounds good......LOL

Dave, w/ your training & knowledge, I bet this forecast will be closer to reality than the one the other Dave, (Dave "The Overpaid Underperforming Weather Liar" Phillips) will provide.

lmao,,,there was no snow in Edmonton or area last year,I was driving 3 hours to ride,,,,,,

There is no Dave that is equal to that maggot infested fool in Barrie..Bob...I like to blow him up good!

There is no Dave that is equal to that maggot infested fool in Barrie..Bob...I like to blow him up good!

come on...bob rocks

lmao,,,there was no snow in Edmonton or area last year,I was driving 3 hours to ride,,,,,,

Yup the club I belonged to(the Fort Saskatchewan Sno Angels) did not open their trails at all last year. Now the year before brought record amounts of snow to Edmonton.

Lake was 12 degrees this morning.

come on...bob rocks

He is the romper room of weather reading. I don't need to see pictures of little Timmie who drew a picture of a lightening bolt going through an azalea in Bob's garden.

with warmer lakes comes a longer wait 4 ice. The warmer the great lakes, it seems the higher the jet stream. I am no weather person, but from what I have seen I don't have high hopes that warmer lake temp. will help the cause. Warmer water temps ussually mean higher surface temp of the land as well.

with warmer lakes comes a longer wait 4 ice. The warmer the great lakes, it seems the higher the jet stream. I am no weather person, but from what I have seen I don't have high hopes that warmer lake temp. will help the cause. Warmer water temps ussually mean higher surface temp of the land as well.

Normally the warmer the great lakes the more lake effect they produce. 2 winters ago was some of the best riding we has seen in year. It was like it snowed everyday. Last year was a fluke.

Wind has been consistently from the north west at our cottage (and flagpole outside my office in Toronto).

Haven't seen that for some time.

If it blows consistently from the south in Jan., we're in trouble.

Wind has been consistently from the north west at our cottage (and flagpole outside my office in Toronto).

Haven't seen that for some time.

If it blows consistently from the south in Jan., we're in trouble.

Wired observation. Better hope it blows north all year long. Ice age I tell yeah. Lol

You know all these predictions are just going to jinx everything. I usually start praying to the great snow god the end of September early October. I think I'll bump it up a bit and start July 1 Canada day.

Archived